A blog I started in 2008 - 9 to document my travels... continued!

Sunday 26 October 2008

The Zoo






Yes, Zoo's are bad but unfortunately they remain a guilty pleasure. I actually set out to visit the Le Corbusier house (one of only 2 in the Americas) but it was closed and the Zoo was near by so... I did meet a bunch of free animals wandering around, all of who were persistently friendly and kept following me. The duck and the capabara (?) I had to really shake. Other than these new pals, and given the original plan for the afternoon, I was more enamored with the zoo architecture than their inhabitants. The condor cage is a HUGE metal structure that is basically an oversized bird-cage, really striking as a piece of sculpture. But yes, some of the animals seemed utterly depressed and I couldn't even bare to look at the tiger.

1 comment:

Chrystene said...

I agree about zoos. Animals are fascinating to observe, particularly those which are unfamiliar, but these martyrs for their species which we encounter in captivity are probably like their free-roaming bretheren in form only. The worst are elephants and the large carnivores like big cats and bears.

By the way, I think that is not a capybara but a CHUPACABRA, and you'd better watch out for it!