A blog I started in 2008 - 9 to document my travels... continued!

Thursday 12 March 2009

Old bones





Yesterday I went to the Natural History Museum and it was totally fab. I forget just how happy being in a room full of wood, metal, glass and bones can make me feel. I'm an installation artist at heart, I'm inspired by spaces, and these sort of spaces make me tingle. In my mind, the best type of NHM is slightly shabby, maybe even a bit dusty, big and grand, wore bare stairs. Flecking paint is a bonus. This one in Paris is a beauty, all skeletons and gross pinky grey things in jars. A cabinet of livers, a cabinet of colons and best of all, a cabinet of deformed things. In the central hall, all the animal skeleton face in the same direction, sizing you up as you enter the space. Its like a crazy Noah Ark, all these miscellaneous species forced to get along, side by side, one in front of the other, all hues of milky pale yellows like Paris its self.

No comments: